Gov. Makinde Approves Reopening Of Tertiary Institutions In Oyo

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde Has Ordered The Reopening Of State Owned And Private Institutions In The State.

The governor had previously in July 2020 directed primary and secondary schools to reopen on September 21, six months after they were shut down to combat the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

A statement signed by the state’s Commissioner For Education, Science, and Technology, Olasunkanmi Olaleye, on Tuesday, September 15 said tertiary institutions can also reopen from September 28.

“Academic Boards and Senate of institutions are expected to fix their date and comply strictly with the guidelines on re-opening,” Olaleye said.

The governor also approved revised guidelines for the reopening of primary and secondary schools, including the constitution of a COVID-19 task force to be headed by Heads of Schools with two members of staff.

School heads are also advised to make temporary use of spaces like laboratories, libraries, and examination halls as classrooms where necessary in order to observe social distancing.

Students are also to be attached to chairs and tables to discourage sharing of items.

Primary and secondary schools will also operate a morning and afternoon shift for students as part of measures to prevent congestion.

Primary 1 to Primary 3, and JSS 1 to JSS 3 students are to be in school between 8 am and 11 am, while Primary 4 to Primary 6, and SSS 1 to SSS 3 students are to be in school between 12 pm and 3 pm.

Since Nigeria recorded its first COVID-19 case in late February, over 56,000 cases have been recorded, with over 1,000 dead.

Despite reopening many sectors since May, the Federal Government has been reluctant about reopening schools, but has appealed to state governments going ahead with reopening them to ensure safety guidelines are diligently followed.

Brainchyld

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Full Details Of Tottenham’s Contract For Reguilon Emerge

Wed Sep 16 , 2020
Tottenham Hotspur sealed deal with Real Madrid to sign Sergio Reguilon for €30million. Reguilon agreed to personal terms with Jose Mourinho’s side after talks with Manchester United. Recall that the 23-year-old defender had drawn the interest of Man United and Chelsea in the past. This was revealed by respected Italian […]
Jose Mourinho